Blog Post #4
Both the King Richard Leek and the Early Wonder Tall top Beet are Biennial.
King Richard Leek
The requirements for achieving vernalization in leeks vary, but based on the experience of growing leeks for seed in this area. A 6-8 week period of temperatures between 0C to 10C seems to be a good window for triggering the leeks to flower without to much damage to the plants themselves.
I will overwintered the leeks in the field with a layer of heavy mulch on top.
King Richard, is more susceptible to heavy frosts than some other leek varieties, so I will plant them in a bed that is on a south facing slope, and will cover with row cover if temperatures look to stay below freezing for an extended time period.
Early Wonder Tall top Beet
I will use the root-to seed method for growing out the beets, and then in the fall harvest the roots- Selecting the best ones to be planted out in the spring for seed. I will cut off the tops and store in crates with sand in a shed that stays cool through out the winter but doesn't fully freeze.
Beets seem to be triggered into vernalization at temperatures below 12C.
I will overwintered the leeks in the field with a layer of heavy mulch on top.
King Richard, is more susceptible to heavy frosts than some other leek varieties, so I will plant them in a bed that is on a south facing slope, and will cover with row cover if temperatures look to stay below freezing for an extended time period.
Early Wonder Tall top Beet
I will use the root-to seed method for growing out the beets, and then in the fall harvest the roots- Selecting the best ones to be planted out in the spring for seed. I will cut off the tops and store in crates with sand in a shed that stays cool through out the winter but doesn't fully freeze.
Beets seem to be triggered into vernalization at temperatures below 12C.

Comments
Post a Comment