Blog Post #8

BLOG POST #8: Identify the Harvest Requirements of Your Seed Crops

 Lactuca Sativa Reines des Glaces  

Lettuce seed ripens irregularly and is ready to harvest 12-24 days after flowering. Ideally when 35-50% of the seedheads have feathered. The seed can be harvested by shaking the flowering portion vigorously into a sack, being sure to not damage the plants. For maximum yield, this should be repeated in 7-14 days.

Tools for harvest:
sacks/bags

Beta Vulgaris Early Wonder Tall top

Beet seed can be harvested when  90% of the seed clusters have turned light brown. Or by cracking a seed open, and checking the endosperm- it should be starchy and white, not translucent and milky. 70-75 % of seed on a plant must be at this advanced stage before considering harvest.
Seeds can be stripped from the stalk by hand as they mature, or the entire stalk can be cut when the majority of the seeds are mature, and then dried further.

Equipment:
Buckets, pruners, tarp for drying
Allium porrum King Richard
Hand harvest umbels when black seeds begin to be reveled. Scapes can be cut into a bucket or sack 4 to 6 inch below umbel. Umbels should be harvested before full maturity if bad weather hits. Umbels can be dried with artificial heat on breathable fabric.

Equipment: bucket, pruners

Comments

  1. Hi Meghan;

    First let me say that I am so glad to see that you have worked to complete your blog posts and the requirement of this course. Congratulations. I can imagine how busy you've been over the season, knowing that you are managing the market garden and seed operation at Stowel Lake Farm.

    Reading this blog post I'm impressed at your insight into the harvest techniques and tools needed for these seed crops. It shows that you have some first-hand experience. The tools, techniques and timing you describe for harvest are all excellent. One thing I do a little differently (though your method may work just as effectively) is that I use large buckets to collect lettuce seed into, not bags. I actually use plastic garbage cans. I bend he stalks of the lettuce gently over and rap the heads against the side of the bucket and find this helps release the mature seed quickly and effectively while leaving the less mature seed still on the seed head. I then allow the plant to spring back upright and continue maturing the seeds for a few more days before coming back for another harvest. I do this about 4 times over the course of 4 weeks.

    This blog post also asked you to list the tools and technique you would employ for cleaning the seed crops you've chosen. I would encourage you to think about that ahead of growing the crops as it allows you to identify which seed cleaning tools you'll need (ie, fans, screens) and make sure you have them so you can do the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan - I also would like to say how happy I am to see your blog posts! I've read your earlier ones and you show a good knowledge and understanding of the course material so far and are able to apply the information well to your situation.

    You have concisely summarized the harvest techniques and tools you need for each crop. I believe one of your earlier posts stated that you have grown leek seed crops before you know what's best in terms of timing for your area. In my area, I wait a little longer for the umbels to start showing more of the black seeds, as I find this makes it easier to get the seeds loose from the heads. I've always found cleaning the seed heads a very manual, long process so would have been interested in hearing how you plan to clean the seedheads you've harvested.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts