Blog Post #14


Blog Post #14: Integrating Seed Production into an Existing Operation; Seed Selling as a Secondary Revenue
Describe how commercial seed production will fit into your current operations or sources of income. Identify the particular challenges you anticipate you will need to address to ensure this is done successfully and describe how you will address these. 

As the farm I work at already has a seed growing operation, the key for me is to streamline the operation to grow less seeds really well instead of trying to saving many seeds but ending up doing it sub-par. 
The challenge is balancing our growing market garden, which is making money with the seed saving productions which isn't making very much money). The challenge is having enough space for larger seed crops that require larger populations to maintain seed purity. Currently the farm is saving seed for our own production and then selling some whole sale. Ideally we can make a little more income selling seed at our onsite farm store, that already has a strong customer base and already sells plant starts.

Comments

  1. Hi Meghan;

    You've stated the challenge of having seed production "pull it's own weight" economically as part of the Stowel Lake Farm operation. I agree with you that you will do better to streamline the number of varieties of seed you produce, to ensure you can produce those to a high standard of quality. This may also lead you to being able to figure out how to be efficient at growing the seed crops, and therefore have them net a better return financially. For this reason it's very important to do the work involved in developing an enterprise budget for the seed crops you do plan to produce in 2019. I really encourage you to do this, even if it's over the winter. (I couldn't find blog 13 which is on this subject). It takes quite a bit of time to develop this enterprise budget, but usually only for the first one. And it can really shed light for you what the true cost of production of each seed crop is, and what you can financially expect in return for your work. This can help you prioritize the relevance of seeds in your mixed farm operation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meaghan - I'm glad you're going to reduce the number of varieties you grow for seed, so that you can achieve the quality of seed crop that is going to help you make more money from it. I think you're well positioned to increase your income from selling small packets to your customers. Linking the delicious food they experience at the retreat to the packets they can take home with them to grow is a really good idea and I would encourage you to consider ways that you can make that link stronger. Perhaps you include recipe cards? Perhaps you create collections that are based on dishes they've eaten?

    We have found that putting out seed racks with seeds that can be direct sown, during our plant sales always sells a fair bit of seed, so I agree that this is a great opportunity. And, of course, selling seed packets at the retail level is a lot more profitable than selling wholesale.

    I would also encourage you to get your Enterprise Budget done, as you need to complete that to be considered to have completed the course successfully. And you've come so far!

    Best of luck,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts