Blog Post #11
Blog Post #11: Identify the Necessary
Storage Requirement and Provisions for Your Seed Crops
I will store all the seeds in plastic ice cream buckets, in drawers in an unheated room.
Leeks: I will store the leek seed no longer than two years, in cool, dry, dark conditions
The national germination standard for commercially sold leeks is 60%.
Beets: Will retain 50% germination for six years, I will keep my beet seed for 4 years stored in a cool, dry, dark location.
The national germination standard for commercially sold beet seed is 75%
Lettuce: I will keep Lettuce seed for 3 years stored in a cool, dry, dark location.
The national germination standard for commercially sold seed is 80%
Leeks: I will store the leek seed no longer than two years, in cool, dry, dark conditions
The national germination standard for commercially sold leeks is 60%.
Beets: Will retain 50% germination for six years, I will keep my beet seed for 4 years stored in a cool, dry, dark location.
The national germination standard for commercially sold beet seed is 75%
Lettuce: I will keep Lettuce seed for 3 years stored in a cool, dry, dark location.
The national germination standard for commercially sold seed is 80%
Hi Meghan;
ReplyDeleteGood job on describing the storage requirements for your seed. The only comment I will add is about the space you've chosen, an unheated room. This is adequate as long as the room is quite cool, say in the winter. But if the room gets warm in the summer it may no longer be such an ideal space. There is a strong correlation between elevated temperature of seed storage and rapid decrease in seed viability. Germination rate will go down quickly, etc. So, if you can find a space that is cool all year round, that is best.
Hi Meaghan - you also need to consider moisture levels, as these impact the longevity of your seeds. Given the length of time you are planning on storing your seeds, I highly recommend investing in a hygrometer to monitor moisture levels in your seeds. Also, I'm assuming you will germination test your stored seed regularly. Leeks, for example, we have found cannot be consistently relied on to last two years. You may also look at including silica packets in your buckets as these will absorb moisture from the seeds.
ReplyDelete