Blog Post #10
Blog Post #9: Ensuring traceability of your seed crops
Describe how you will ensure traceability of your three seed crops. Your answer must ensure that the crop can be traced from the seed packet in the hands of the customer back to your crop harvest in a particular year.
Each crop I grow will be assigned a Lot # that will indicate what field, plot etc, it was grown in and the year. This number will be connected to the field notes, that will state how it was grown.
Blog Post #10: Ensuring isolation from GE crops
Determine whether there will be, to the best of your knowledge, GE crops of the same species growing within the vicinity of your seed crops. Describe how you will isolate your seed crops from these same species GE crops to ensure varietal purity.
Salt Spring is a small island, and there isn't any GE crop growers that I know of. If there were GE fields on the island, the seed that I'm growing would be well protected through physical barriers- forest, hills, buildings, lakes.
Describe how you will ensure traceability of your three seed crops. Your answer must ensure that the crop can be traced from the seed packet in the hands of the customer back to your crop harvest in a particular year.
Each crop I grow will be assigned a Lot # that will indicate what field, plot etc, it was grown in and the year. This number will be connected to the field notes, that will state how it was grown.
Blog Post #10: Ensuring isolation from GE crops
Determine whether there will be, to the best of your knowledge, GE crops of the same species growing within the vicinity of your seed crops. Describe how you will isolate your seed crops from these same species GE crops to ensure varietal purity.
Salt Spring is a small island, and there isn't any GE crop growers that I know of. If there were GE fields on the island, the seed that I'm growing would be well protected through physical barriers- forest, hills, buildings, lakes.
Hi Meghan;
ReplyDeleteI am glad to see you know the importance of using a lot number to track your seed crops. I encourage you to identify a little more precisely all the info that you want to capture in your lot number, or keep track of. You have identified "field, plot, year, and manner of growing" as some of the things you'll record and relate to a lot number. You may also want to record the crop type, cultivar, original seed source, organic status, or other info.
It would also be good to know how you'll store and retrieve this info. In a binder? A computer spreadsheet? Etc.
For the question about isolation from GE crops you are in a good place on Salt Spring Island, and you're right there is little chance of GE contamination, perhaps none. Good place to farm!! :)
Hi Meghan - I would like some more information on your actual lot numbering system and how you will be able to track the seeds from the customer to your source seed. As Patrick said, how will you keep track of this information? I find a Log Book very helpful, and I use spreadsheets to enter the lot number for each seed crop, as well as information on when it's packaged and how much has been packaged. Also, you didn't mention whether you would be putting the lot number info on seed packets sold. I'm assuming you would but it would be good to include this in your post.
ReplyDelete